[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:12:41 -0800

On Sun, 2005-01-23 at 19:00 -0500, Tom Barry wrote:
> Yep.  But increasingly the smarts ARE everywhere, especially in P2P.  I
> am not a multcast expert but it seemed there could be some useful things
> done to take advantage of its existance in the P2P world if end users
> could multicast.

Ofcourse. The supernodes could seed with no impact on delivery
bandwidth. This model would encourage multiple supernodes seeding
downloaders via carousels. But at some point the system would implode
unless it self-regulates.

You wouldn't want end users multicasting. You would want a guaranteed
supernode multicast delivery mechanism, and then allow them to unicast
between themselves when sufficiently seeded. The multicast would serve
as an accelerant to get the file or better still streaming video
delivered quicker.

Cheers
Kon