[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:46:54 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Are we forever stuck with 8VSb and MPEG-2/

Not forever. Just the time to use what we've got.
This implies perhaps 25 to 35 years.

There is no point in marginally better CODECS
or modulation methods. It is unlikely that modulation methods
can improve much ... Shannon's Law stands there as a brick wall.
It is likely that much better CODECS will be invented. There is
no rush to use marginally better ones. Let the Europeans
use MPEG4 ... we will use the much better ones.

Doug McDonald