[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:47:09 -0800

If it were me, I would deliver a 15fps VBR barker MPEG2 channel and fill
the 'rest' with MPEG4. Fill the barker full of hyped ads telling viewers
what box they can use to watch the other channels, and you're done. :)

About 3 years back I got an itch to test this with IPTV and built a
server up to encode and multicast the streams and inject via our ip
encapsulator. I had no problems squishing > 20 < MPEG4 'SD' IPTV streams
into 17Mbits. Enough left over for a single SD channel and table data.
Mostly letterboxed 640x280-ish and 640x480 material, but still extremely
watchable when postprocessed.

I always notice that people in the USA balk at the 'miniscule' figure of
20. Back home we were lucky to have 10, and many international DTH
services top out at the 20 mark.

2 dozen services over a single DTH station would be a killer demo for an
NAB-type event, methinks - with 20 screens lined up side by side, and 1
by itself with a single channel HD feed as comparison. What would people
choose? A no-brainer.

Cheers
Kon