[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 17:14:52 -0600

Bob Miller wrote:

> And you are complaining about power levels? You need more power than
> they do in the UK where COFDM is used?

**I** am not complaining ... people halfway or 5/8 way between
here and Chicago are. At 11 miles, 1 kW is just fine, completely
fine, for indoor recption. At 50 miles it is hopeless.

> I thought that COFDM needed more
> power.

It does.

> We should LOWER the power levels in the US with 8-VSB to the
> average power level in the UK or ONE kW.

And then nobody in the fringe could ge reception.

> And they report perfect reception from 200 Watt transmitters at 30
> miles.

With indoor simple antennas? **at 25 mB/sec in their 8 MHz cxhannels? I
think not. I had no trouble getting one of our stations 16 miles
away with 1 kW and a 180 foot tower. 200 watts at 30 miles will be
fine with a good antenna outdoors and a transmitter tower high
enough to be above the horizon. And note .... if 200 watts works
with COFDM, 100 watts will work with 8-VSB. You simply can't get
aroound this ... COFDM at the same bitrate per Hz takes twice the power.

Doug McDonald