[opendtv] Re: 5th gen receivers

  • From: Kon Wilms <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:54:11 -0800

On Sat, 2005-01-22 at 14:26 -0500, Tom Barry wrote:
> Do you then consider the LG 4'th gen to be "spectacular"?  Or, more
> specifically, do you think it performs well enough with indoor set top
> antennas to complete the digital TV transition and turn off NTSC?

I have no idea of how it performs against the LG 5th gen box, sorry. Bob
and Mark probably do though?

Also, being in California (chicken wire walls), indoor reception is near
impossible. I can say though that with the LG 4th gen box I was able to
lay my 'good for 35miles' radio shack yagi on its side on my clay tile
roof, with 2nd story adjacent, pool across in next yard, and 80 ft hill
blocking line of sight - and get most of the local channels (with decent
signal and no dropouts). I'm 50 miles from the towers. Not a scientific
test by any means, but you get the idea (it definitely surprised me).

Cheers
Kon