[opendtv] Re: 4k @ 60 fps encoded into 15 Mbps using HEVC

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2012 13:57:14 +0200

Hi Mark,

just implicitely using the usual average 30 cycles per degree acuity.
2K was designed with the goal of covering 30° in the FOV, so as 4K has
twice the number of horizontal pixel, it should be good for about 60°
with a little safety margin. Now this is geometrically true for a curved
screen that would go around part of a circle centered on the viewer. A
correction would be needed for a flat screen.

Since this is supposed to be the limit where your visual acuity just
stops short of separating individual pixels, it means that if you get
closer you will start seeing those pixels, which damages the
representation of reality, and if you get further, your eye will no
longer be able to capture all the information available in the picture.
It is in that sense that i say the 60° configuration is optimal.

Of course, this is an average and would need to be modulated with the
specifics of a given individual's visual system.

I am not sure why you mention presbyopic viewers, though ? Those only
have problems for viewing things close up, right? Since you are still a
few meters away from the screen this should not come into play.