[opendtv] Re: 4k @ 60 fps encoded into 15 Mbps using HEVC

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 2 Nov 2012 11:02:36 -0400

At 10:14 PM -0800 10/28/12, Ron Economos wrote:
Unfortunately, when you de-interlace 1080i@xxxxx, you end
up with 1080p@xxxxx which until very recently could not be
transmitted in MPEG-2 and for which there aren't many
decoders in the field (for any compression format).

1080i is still very popular. On my Comcast cable system
here in Silicon Valley there are currently 111 HD channels.
Of those 111, 85 are 1080i and 26 are 720p. In other
words, 3 out of 4 HD channels are 1080i.

The real question is whether broadcasters will be willing to change the system again. From here I suspect that there will be little interest in a new standard, UNLESS a viable alternative to the conglom/MVPD distribution platform emerges in the next few years.

What is even more apparent, is that broadcasters DO have the freedom to innovate via the Internet. Some will likely realize that there is an alternative future, and they they can continue to keep pumping out MPEG-2 bits for OTA and MVPD platforms, while adopting new work flows to take advantage of Internet streaming. This "may" lead them to progressive acquisition, but my gut says they will hang onto the existing standard and formats as long as they can...

As for dealing with interlace in HEVC - just say no.