[opendtv] Re: 4k @ 60 fps encoded into 15 Mbps using HEVC

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 06:34:42 -0400

That's a great question.  All I ask is that we consider it.

Perhaps after "The Hobbit" opens, we'll have another data point.

TTFN,
Mark

On 10/22/2012 8:47 PM, Leonard Caillouet wrote:

Mark,

I would ask the same question about frame rates that you do about 1080i.  Is there really a good reason for low frame rates or is it just reverence to the religion of film.  It seems to me like fish on Fridays or Latin masses are a good analogy for both.

I must admit, my background in biomechanics biases me to higher frame rates, but once you see motion produced at rates high enough that the human visual system truly becomes the limiting factor, it is hard to go back.

Leonard Caillouet, MS, CET

Gainesville, FL 32608