[opendtv] Re: 4k @ 60 fps encoded into 15 Mbps using HEVC

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 18:51:35 -0500

Olivier Houot wrote:

> http://itersnews.com/?p=12332
>
> An 8 Mhz DVB-T2 channel could accomodate two, perhaps three such
> broadcasts.
>
> But i think i'd rather have High Frame Rate 2K.

I believe this HEVC is H.265.

If we are to believe the news hype literally, then H.264 cuts H.262 (MEPG-2
compression) bit rate requirements down by half, and H.265 cuts H.264 bit rate
by half once again. So, if we are to believe this is literally the case, it
stands to reason that a network link that can transmit a 2 Mpel 60 fps image,
using H.262, should be capable of transmitting a 8 Mpel 60 fps image without
increasing link capacity.

These days, MPEG-2 compression has become capable of cramming 720p (1 Mpel)
into 10 Mb/s or less, judging by how some broadcasters are formatting their
multiplexes, or two 720p HD streams in a 6 MHz ATSC channel.

What they call 4K is actually 3840 X 2160, or 8.3 Mpel. So, yes, just doing the
numbers, HEVC over a 20 Mb/s channel should be a doable do. And similar
benefits to improve image quality over the Internet, without requiring more
bandwidth.

Funny how that worked out. Used to be that UHDTV seemed impossible to do in
practice, over DTT. Maybe not.