[opendtv] Re: 480i 16:9 with pillarboxed image

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 18:27:13 -0600

Gary Blievernicht wrote:

> Just wondering: how many television sets have AFD implemented?  I have
> a hard enough time keeping cables systems with professional gear to use
> AFD properly.

Don't know the answer, but in my two LG TVs, one maybe 4 years old and the
other 3 years old, it works great. Although it took forever for any OTA
broadcasters to start using it. There's only the NBC O&O and the Fox O&O who
are using it now in the DC market, on their SD subchannel, as far as I can
tell. In both cases, I was happily surprised to finally see widescreen SD
programs that didn't require me to change modes manually.

> I knew someone that worked at MHZ for a while, they are an extremely low
> budget operation, and their output for their staff size and budget is
> amazing.

One of my favorites, for real-time viewing. Always something interesting to
watch. I have no idea whether it's expensive to transmit AFD. I can only guess
that the excuse for using postage stamp 16:9 is that if one assumes that many
out there don't have AFD, then even the most inept users can see an undistorted
(if small) 16:9 image that way?

One interesting note is that international TV networks seem to be migrating to
all-16:9 quickly now. Of the programs MHz Networks transmits, the first to
switch was France 24, years ago now. Then came Aljazeera and Russia Today
(postage stamped both) fairly recently. The Korean Arirang has some 4:3 and
some 16:9 (anamorphic squeeze). Just seems like it's time to stop transmitting
postage stamped 16:9.

Zooming in on postage stamp images is not really satisfying. Poor image
quality. SFD in my experience always stretches anamorphic squeeze. Much nicer.