[opendtv] Re: 480i 16:9 with pillarboxed image

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Dec 2012 09:16:23 -0500

Come now, Craig. Consumers couldn't care less. Consumers move to IP TV if it offers stuff that OTA (in cases like me), or that MVPD traditional TV channels, don't offer. MPEG-2 doesn't even figure on their radar.

Excuse my french, but Bull$#*&!

Why are people clammoring for "retina" displays on mobile devices?

So they can watch soft, artifact riddled video on these high quality displays?

I've been watching some shows on Netflix recently on my 50" HDTV. They are softer than old NTSC programs, but largely free from interlace artifacts.

You are correct that for IPTV, MPEG-2 does not figure on their radar. The MPEG-2 royalty alone killed it, not to mention the terrible efficiency in bit rate constrained channels.

I've no problem with Table 3, now that the CE and computer industries have both settled on 16:9 (thanks in part to the standard modes of HDMI!). But there are clever and simple ways of using Table 3, and there are obtuse ways of using it. 853 X 480 would be a wonderful addition, but it's hardly essential. This is broadcast. If you don't want to carry as many bits as needed for 720p, why quibble with 853 X 480p?

One quibble here. The mobile device industry supports a wide range of program aspect ratios. This is just a simple variable for them. The fact that many (but not all) screens have migrated to 16:9 is due primarily to economies of scale.

Here's an example of what IP TV offers. I noticed that ABC is offering the entire season of their shows online, for "catchup," before the new season starts. So the way I'm set up, it's a great way to watch programs I have not been following, during this couple of weeks of reruns, without any compromise. Not sitting up close to a PC, not peering at some tiny tablet or smartphone with crappy sound, not subscribed to some special MVPD-exclusive VOD scheme, no compromise at all.

Correct.

And NO MPEG-2 at all.