[opendtv] Re: 480i 16:9 with pillarboxed image

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:20:58 -0600

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It would be ironic if the installed based of MPEG-2 in the
> broadcast and MVPD industries are the Achilles heel that
> ultimately causes consumers to move to IP based services.

Come now, Craig. Consumers couldn't care less. Consumers move to IP TV if it
offers stuff that OTA (in cases like me), or that MVPD traditional TV channels,
don't offer. MPEG-2 doesn't even figure on their radar.

I've no problem with Table 3, now that the CE and computer industries have both
settled on 16:9 (thanks in part to the standard modes of HDMI!). But there are
clever and simple ways of using Table 3, and there are obtuse ways of using it.
853 X 480 would be a wonderful addition, but it's hardly essential. This is
broadcast. If you don't want to carry as many bits as needed for 720p, why
quibble with 853 X 480p?

Here's an example of what IP TV offers. I noticed that ABC is offering the
entire season of their shows online, for "catchup," before the new season
starts. So the way I'm set up, it's a great way to watch programs I have not
been following, during this couple of weeks of reruns, without any compromise.
Not sitting up close to a PC, not peering at some tiny tablet or smartphone
with crappy sound, not subscribed to some special MVPD-exclusive VOD scheme, no
compromise at all.