[opendtv] Re: 480i 16:9 with pillarboxed image

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 17:30:54 -0600

BTW, when I said "this is broadcast, why quibble with 853 X 480p," I was
referring to the transmission protocol.

You're not trying to tailor the stream to just one device. So, if you don't
want to use up the bits needed for 1280 X 720p, you might as well go down to
704 X 480i/p instead, be compatible with every ATSC device out there, and hope
to save a meaningful amount of b/s in the process.