[opendtv] Re: 480i 16:9 with pillarboxed image

  • From: Ron Economos <w6rz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 09:28:36 -0800

Prior to the fall of 2004, FOX was on the air with 480p@60,
so there had to have been hardware encoders. I think
Harmonic had something that supported the 480p in
the upper left hand corner of 720p hack, but I can't
remember now.

I've never seen any professional equipment that does 853x480
at any frame rate. AFAIK, 853x480 content, sources, transport,
encoding, decoding etc. does not exist in the broadcast world.
Folks might be doing it on PC's, but the content would have been
scaled from some other resolution.

I do remember the first time I saw some 16:9 720x480 content.
It was a trailer for "Batman Forever" with Val Kilmer back in
1995 when I was working at C-Cube. Warner had sent them
a D1 tape and it was just the most gorgeous looking SD that
I had seen up till then.

Ron

On 12/28/2012 6:32 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 12:42 AM +0000 12/28/12, Tom McMahon wrote:
Dumb question: are/were there any MPEG-2 HW encoders that could gobble 720p60 and emit 480p60? Could you do it today in SW? Or has this all now become irrelevant entirely?

The biggest problem is that 853 x 480@60P exceeds the pixel clock for MPEG-2 MP@ML (10.4 Mpixels/sec).

It is possible to encode 480@60P using MP@HL, although I am not aware of hardware encoders that do this. There are a variety of software encoders that can do this, but most of the IP world has moved on to h.264, where 480P is the norm rather than the exception.

So for now, I agree with Mark, just encode everything in the MP@ML 16:9 wrapper...

Interlace refuses to die!

It would be ironic if the installed based of MPEG-2 in the broadcast and MVPD industries are the Achilles heel that ultimately causes consumers to move to IP based services.