[opendtv] Re: 405 line pictures

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 19:18:58 -0800

flyback1 wrote:

> In Europe, the camera setup standard was different. The grayscale setup
> chart used was different from the one used with NTSC, eleven steps
> instead of nine,

In Europe they did not degrade video dynamic range by introducing the 7.5
percent DC voltage off-set above blanking as an artificial black level
(known as Setup), as is required in the U.S.
As I vaguely recall, Setup was established to compensate for a serious non
linearity in some proprietary imaging device, near black level. This could
account for much of what you describe and as I have also observed.