[opendtv] Re: 3-D TVs for industry: $64B; health research: zero

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Mar 2010 12:12:35 -0500

On 3/4/2010 11:19 AM, Stessen, Jeroen wrote:

I find the convergence-accomodation conflict the weakest argument

for explaining issues with large format 3D TVs, it goes to the bottom of my

to-do list.

As we don't yet really have 3D TVs, we don't yet know what the issues will be.

There will be more interesting issues (artefacts) to solve first.

In some 3D theaters some horrible mistakes are being made, because people

have not yet been sufficiently trained. That will improve with experience.

Until then, we should not speak of problems as if they are all fundamental.

In your previous message you spoke in glowing terms of your local Pathé cinema:

My friend the operator at the Pathé movie theater (Mark knows who)

says that they receive virtually no complaints, but he has taken great

efforts to make sure that everything is right. Some guys at the lab here

have seen Avatar 3D in Pathé on the opening night, and the quality

was indeed excellent. Also, the brightness was 2.5 times higher than

what it should have been for 3D, I suppose that that helps too.
So that seems like 3D at its finest: Superb source material (/Avatar/) and superb projection. Yet you seem to report that SOME viewers still have problems; "virtually no complaints" is different from no complaints. So, even under optimum conditions at long viewing distances, at least one viewer in that cinema has had a problem.

Ø And, perhaps Ethan Schur, who spoke at the HPA Tech Retreat about 3D

Ø on mobile devices will disagree with Jeroen's "Duh !" about that application

Ø of technology.

We were talking of 3D TVs, which in my business are several meters away.

His problems are not our problems. There exist better solutions for mobile

displays, like dual near-eye displays, i.e. virtual large displays at infinity.

So, duh, don't put a problem on my plate that is not *my* problem.

Maybe it's just a very unwise idea to watch 3D on mobile to begin with...

Which, unless I am very much mistaken, is precisely the difference of opinion between you and Schur that I suggested above. He thinks it is NOT an unwise idea.

Ø But the idea that because some viewers watch TV at a distance of at least

Ø three meters from the screen there is no need to consider visual factors in 3DTV is bogus.

Ø Here's a promotional image from a manufacturer.

Duh again, that is a simulated image, and it is about gaming. It is not at all

representative of how people watch TV. The typical situation is a 32"-47"

screen at 8 to 12 feet distance, and with very few in-your-face 3D effects.

I'm pretty sure that when Avatar 3D comes out on Blu-ray, we'll all praise

Sir James for having done another perfect job, and what was the problem

again ?  Yes, some people (myself included) will probably need to see an

eye doctor first, but they should have done that sooner or later anyway.

It's that range of "some people" that we need to be concerned about. As I pointed out, I can fuse almost anything into 3D, so I'm not likely to have problems with 3D TV. But In-Three, who are in business exclusively for 3D, posit a home viewing distance of six feet, not three meters, and there will be some who sit closer than that.

If a stereographer sets something in a scene at infinity, that's a certain distance apart; let's call it 65 cm. On any screen that's large enough, the distance can be 65 cm. But video signals don't have distances. If something is set to be 65 cm apart on a 32-inch screen, it will be 130 cm apart on a 64-inch screen and 33 cm apart on a 16-inch screen. At the HPA Tech Retreat, as you know, three of the prizes were seven-inch TVs, and, in the Panasonic truck, there was a 103-inch plasma. Perhaps Philips will come out with a 3DTV that automatically adjusts disparity for screen size. I look forward to it.

However... the intermediate case is probably more interesting and relevant:

watching 3D content, particularly games, on a typical (24") computer screen

at arm's length distance. Then there will be accomodation-vergence issues.

There will also be frequent window violation errors, which are even worse.

Luckily such content is generated in real-time, so it is easy enough to adjust

the depth to your individual liking. nVidia has put a controller dial on its IR

emitter (for the shutter glasses) to do precisely that. AFAIK you can dial it

down to almost 2D, if you wish. It is much harder to do that for a TV, you

would need a separate depth signal and supplemental occlusion data. This

has been proposed in research circles, but that don't make it any feasible yet.

Indeed.

So are we in agreement that there are physiological issues related to 3D TV that need work?

TTFN,
Mark