[opendtv] Re: 3-D TVs for industry: $64B; health research: zero

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2010 19:12:29 -0600

Mark Schubin wrote:

> Contrary to what Rick Merritt wrote ("Researchers have yet to study the
> correlations between specific eye movements and symptoms of eye
> strain"), such studies HAVE been performed and HAVE been reported on,
> perhaps most recently at last month's HPA Tech Retreat by Professor
> Martin Banks of the University of California - Berkeley Visual Space
> Perception Laboratory. You'll find a report on Banks's presentation here
> (scroll down):
http://provideocoalition.com/index.php/awilt/story/hpatr2010_1/

Very interesting. The bit about needing to see the image frame to compensate
for off-center viewing of a flat screen seems intuitive. As long as the viewer
assumes the frame to be rectangular(!). Might be interesting to do the same
test, but to use rhomboids for the picture frame, with and without telling the
viewer.

The questions and remarks at the bottom were also enlightening. I have to
seriously question the idea that so many would pay to have 3D TV at home,
though. (Pete Putnam: "50% consumers want 3D in the home; 80% have seen 3D;
willing to pay for glasses [but not 2x for two glasses."]) Or even at the
movies, most of the time. I'm not saying that people don't RESPOND that way in
a survey while waiting for the 3D feature to start. I am suggesting they won't
do it.

I'm much in agreement with David Wood of the EBU.

The movies that have been a success in 3D are typically animations or similar
type of "kiddie flick." I just don't believe that 3D would be a generic rage,
although I was ALWAYS convinced that HD would be. For just about any and all
content.