[opendtv] Re: 3-D TVs for industry: $64B; health research: zero

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Mar 2010 13:37:08 -0500

On 3/6/2010 1:20 PM, Stessen, Jeroen wrote:
So any complaints should
go to the broadcaster of the 3D program, or the producer of the DVD/Blu-ray disc. They should quickly learn to produce with the optimum amount of depth.
A tricky proposition when their broadcasts may be seen on screens ranging from one-inch to 152 inches and at a very broad range of viewing distances.

Cameron must have spent enormous effort to get it so right for "Avatar 3D", and he / they will spend more effort to get it right for the Blu-ray release of
same.
Let us hope.

From the microstereopsis article I understand that the right amount of disparity depends also on the availability of other depth cues (which the film maker can control), and on the limitations of the display technology, particularly crosstalk. I would expect that the end result of the TV release of "Avatar 3D" will carry a signature of today's display technology. It will be interesting to study it.
Agreed.

Cameron's box office records prove that he has made the right choices.
Yes, and not necessarily having anything to do with 3D. He broke box-office records in countries without 3D cinemas.

TTFN,
Mark