[opendtv] Re: 3-D TVs for industry: $64B; health research: zero

  • From: "Stessen, Jeroen" <jeroen.stessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Mar 2010 21:44:28 +0100

Hello all,

(from home via webmail again)

Mark:

> You have not answered my question about why, if reduced disparity is

> acceptable, we shouldn't simply use microstereopsis and avoid many problems.

Oh, I'm sorry, I took that for a rhetorical question !

Then why don't we simply shoot in 2D and avoid all those 3D problems ?!

Because we want as much depth as is reasonably possible, up to the point

where the problems almost outweigh the benefits. Is that wat you wanted

to hear ? Why does one climb a mountain ? Because it's there.

>> Yeah, all the way until the Blu-ray of Avatar will be released, probably
>> late this year.

> FYI, Avatar was shot on 16:9 image sensors.

- maybe with an anamorphic lens ?

- maybe with an open matte for 2.39:1 ?

No, make that a certainty, because I've seen it in Cinemascope in the theater.

Who knows, maybe the DVD release will be 16:9 and the Blu-ray will be

2.39:1 with black bars ? Given that Hollywood so much loves to put the

subtitles in the black bars, and that 3D equates Blu-ray, that is quite likely.

Wait and see. Unless you can give Cameron a call and find out ?

Best,

-- Jeroen

The information contained in this message may be confidential and legally
protected under applicable law. The message is intended solely for the
addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified
that any use, forwarding, dissemination, or reproduction of this message is
strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by return e-mail and destroy all copies of the