[opendtv] Re: 30 ft requirement

  • From: "Cliff Benham" <cliff.benham@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 11:19:23 -0400

Craig wrote:
>Why are we still trying to develop a mass medium to 1940's technical =
standards?

Frank Eory wrote:
>Regardless of the merits of one modulation scheme vs. another, the=20
>fact is the U.K. has a much more=20
>*****uniform DTV field strength.*****
>In the=20
>U.S., with our geographically sparse mega-stick transmitters, it's=20
>easy to go from tuner overload to unusably weak signal within the=20
>same metropolitan area. That is not the ideal way to operate a=20
>broadband wireless digital communications link, no matter what=20
>modulation you are using.

Until that uniform field strength is achieved in the entire US there =
will=20
still be a need for 30 (perhaps 40?) foot high antennas.

If consumers and Craig expect miracles from bowties, terks and silver =
sensors
sitting on top of 65 inch rear projection DLP HDTVs in basement home =
theaters,
broadcasters will have to provide the uniform field strength Frank =
describes=20
to make it all work.=20