[opendtv] 24PA

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Open DTV Forum <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:04:38 -0500

Mike and I are co-chairing an investigative subcommittee of the National
Academy of Television Arts & Sciences.  Our subcommittee is
investigating "Development, implementation, and promulgation of advanced
24-frame capture" for possible Emmy award.  The fact that there is an
investigation does not guarantee that there will be an award.
Conversely, it's possible for there to be more than one award.  And the
award(s), if any, need not happen this year.

The scope of our work requires that, for something to be Emmy-worthy, it
must already "materially have affected" television.  "Television" is
defined broadly, but the past-tense of "have affected" is strict.

For those of you not familiar with the terminology, 24PA refers to a
capture system that applies 24p frames to a 60-field recording in an
alternating redundant-field sequence, thus: 2:3:3:2.  As a result, all
of the original 24p frames can be recovered in complete frames.

So, in your opinion, has 24PA already materially affected television?
If yes, how?  Who was responsible for it (if you know)?  Who else should
we be asking?

To keep traffic down on this list, please respond directly to Mike and me.

Many thanks!  Depending on your response, we might follow up.

TTFN,
Mark