[opendtv] Re: 2014: The year of living cable TV-free

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2015 19:34:53 -0500

Craig wrote:

> Who knew that this blogger would be breaking the news about ESPN direct?

In effect, that's what Sling TV is. We already did the numbers. ESPN asks for
more than $6/sub/mo from regular MVPDs (as reported in other articles, not a
swag proclaimed to be fact by Craig!) The article which addressed this claimed
that the total amount of a Sling subscription going to programming would be
around $13/sub/mo. So in effect, you're getting ESPN plus 11 more channels that
each cost less than $1/sub/mo.

> Obviously this guy does not mind paying for programming, as he points out in
> the blog. Just as long as he can say he is a cord cutter!

When MVPDs say "Jump!" not everyone is happy to ask "How high?", Craig. This
guy is the perfect example of what I've been describing to you, Craig. He sees
alternatives to the previous take it or leave it formula, and by his estimates,
he's paying half as much as before.