[opendtv] Re: 20060616 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:51:34 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> The pseudo-training sequences created by A-VSB do not
> contain payload.  The amount of payload lost by the
> Samsung/Rhode-Schwarz A-VSB method is more than the
> data 'loss' Sinclair used for DVB-T compared to ATSC
> during their 1999 Baltimore tests.  Therefore, given
> the performance of those 1999 vintage DVB-T receivers
> compared to today's diversity DVB-T receivers, "almost
> as good" both in terms of spectral efficiency and C/N
> margins (under heavy multipath) is all  you can ever
> hope for.

John, we are continuing to have a problem communicating.

I'm NOT talking about A-VSB. I'm talking about doing something more
exciting, to provide service to power-chanllenged handheld devices
without incurring a payload penalty.

Read back my previous, this time without assuming I was just elaborating
on A-VSB.