[opendtv] Re: 20060304 Schubin's Saturday Stuff (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 15:47:51 -0500

Mark Schubin wrote:

>- Based on figures from CEA, sales to U.S. dealers of non-H/DTV
>television sets for the first five weeks of 2006 were down
>20.2% from the same period in 2005; my ten-week running average
>was down 22.4%.  For the first six weeks, they were still down
>20.2%, but my ten-week running average was down 23.6%.

So, as we discussed a few months back, it looks like the steady, relentless
decline in sale of regular old NTSC TV sets is accelerating. It used to be
in the neighborhood of 16 percent decline each month, IIRC, and now it has
accelerated to upwards of 20 percent. Presumably, by March of 2007, these
sets won't even exist anymore. And already today, they should only be sets
smaller than 32", I believe. So I'd say some of the drop is just
availability, but much of it is an ongoing trend, in spite of possible
short-term variations in the second derivative.

>"Digital Televisions" (most of which still appear to be HDTV displays
>without DTT-reception capability) accounted for about 35% of the
>TVs sold to U.S. dealers through the fifth week this year and 38.8%
>through the sixth week.  It may be worth noting here what that
>means.  About 61% of the TVs sold to U.S. dealers in 2006 were
>still plain non-H/DTV direct-view TVs with picture tubes.

But again, looking at trends, the percentage of plain old TVs sold to US
dealers used to be in the 67 percent range toward the end of last year. So
this also points to an ongoing trend, where people in increasing numbers are
replacing sets their old analog sets with fixed pixel displays or other
better-than-NTSC sets.