[opendtv] Re: 20051029 Schubin's Saturday Stuff (Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 12:41:12 -0500

Tony Neece wrote:

>I really am puzzled as to how COFDM became a religion! COFDM is =
>telephone
>technology, after all. ATSC works, and quite well, according to reports =
>from
>those that have 4th or 5th generation receivers.  Are DVB-T decoders =
>really
>a ton cheaper to make than ATSC receivers?  I have not seen any real
>engineering studies that show DVB-T to have significant advantage over =
>ATSC
>receivers that have the improved equilizers.  If anyone knows of one let =
>me
>know.  I am most interested. =20
>
>-

ALL COFDM receivers that we have tested/used are far better than the
best 8-VSB receiver we tested, LG 5th gen prototype, last year. No
question about this at all.

At the old AT&T building on White street just below Canal about 50
blocks from the Empire State Building we were broadcasting COFDM with a
100 Watt transmitter. We could receive the signal in the building seven
floors below using my finger to touch the coax from the receiver. We
could receive it mobile below the building, behind the building down to
the bottom of Manhattan even though the broadcast antenna was aimed at
Midtown with a 60 % arc. We could receive it mobile driving around the
base of the Empire State building.

With the 8-VSB 5th gen prototype, one that I am very excited about, we
were able to receive all stations broadcast from the Empire State
Building with a two bay Radio Shack antenna. This was in the same room
where our COFDM transmitter was located.

But we could defeat that receiver by standing in a particular location
to either side of the antenna or by more than one person walking in
front of the antenna. No such problem with COFDM at any setting we tried
including a bit rate of 19.76 Mbps.

And I want 8-VSB to work. Have since 1999. It just is not the best
modulation even with the best receivers that may show up in the next
year or so IMO.

Am hoping that LG will include their prototype technology in the Direct
TV receivers. This would make for a quantity that would allow them to
make receivers for others even if they don't want to deliver them for
retail. That receiver will also do MPEG4 AVC.That was the sticking point
when we dealt with MIT and LG in the past. I believe Thompson is also
making MPEG4 receivers for the French OTA HDTV market.

Bob Miller