[opendtv] Re: 20051029 Schubin's Saturday Stuff (Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:41:48 -0000

As Frank Eory and Dermot have pointed out here many times over many years,
(and which I may not be able to do justice), the 9 leg digital feedback
equalizer that is required for 8-VSB and isn't required for DVB is more
expensive as a chip than the manufacturing/ip cost for an entire DVB
receiver.  And, there are slim chances that this will improve much in the
near- or mid-term future.

In 1999, DVB was ahead of VSB in usability and had a lower cost.  Since that
time, DVB units have achieved an economy of scale and have opened up the
price/performance gap while improving usability and incorporating new uses
like mobile.  8vsb has just limped along, and there appear to have been some
failures of the ATSC market along the way.

John Willkie