[opendtv] Re: 20051029 Schubin's Saturday Stuff (Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 13:24:52 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> You have some nerve writing this.  Dingell and other
> didn't push for COFDM because it was people like YOU
> screaming back in 1999 that the fix to ATSC was easy,
> and was mere months away.

I will reconstruct for you what I have thought over
the years.

Back in 1999, I saw basically another religious war on
modulation, not unlike the IP vs OSI, Token Ring vs
Ethernet, and ATM vs FDDI and Ethernet, that I had
been through during the 1990s. Mostly overly dogmatic,
ignoramus rantings from both sides. Insults taking
place of intelligent and constructive dialogue.

The Brazil tests of 1999 were not good for 8-VSB. At
*that* time, I was not opposed to a change of physical
layer.

When the Hong Kong test results of 2000 came in, I
figured that maybe this was not quite as simple as
some thought. The dogmatic rantings got even worse.
Instead of discussing intelligently why the Hong Kong
results were so good, the clueless preferred to
pretend the results were terrible for 8-VSB. Truly
dishonest. Hopefully the dishonesty was not deliberate,
merely resulting from lack of understanding.

But basically, the CRC report of 2002 should have put
an end to the silliness. The decision to stay the course
had been made by then and there was some real promise in
those results. Instead, John, the COFDM crowd preferred
to ignore and distort, rather than suck it up and make
this work.

Yes, I did and still do see that there are certain
advantages to suppressed carrier schemes. That's why I
was always intrigued by the developments. Then again, I
happen to be an engineer with no stake in this matter.
To me, it's an interesting academic exercise. There's
no reason for me to lie or distort the truth.