[opendtv] Re: 20050810 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 15:08:44 -0400

As I believe I coined the phrase "cold fusion" to describe the LG prototype
box that Mark Schubin and Mark Aitkin both gushed over so much, let me
explain why I chose to give it that derogatory moniker.

To me, "cold fusion" refers to the original Fleishmann-Pons experiment
results that could not be duplicated by other laboratories.

To date, Bob Miller has reported that although several companies have tried,
nobody has been able to duplicate the performance of the LG prototype
receiver, even when using LG 5th generation chipsets and at least in one
case an LG provided front end as well.

Hence the term "cold fusion."  Results that cannot be independently
reproduced.  I believe the term still applies, and I at least will continue
to use it.

Why is it that DVB-T STBs aren't having front end tuner problems?

John Shutt