[opendtv] Re: 20050810 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2005 08:27:45 -0400

>Frank Eory wrote:
>
>>  Case in point, the DTV tuner mandate. Except that
>>  manufacturer A isn't being too greedy -- it is the U.S.
>>  government that is trying to "force the public to buy
>>  something they really had not intended to buy."
>
>You mean, sort of like seat belts, catalytic converters,
>5 mph bumpers, air bags, third brake light, etc. etc.
>The public would very likely opt out of most of those
>extra cost bennies too, especially when they were first
>introduced. They have since come to appreciate them, of
>course.

I can't speak for Frank, butI fail to see the analogy here.

Alll of the stuff you cite is related to public safety. It is a
question of making passenger vehicles safer, and for the most part
these requirements have worked.

In the case of DTV we are talking about the government mandating that
consumers buy something for which there are marketplace choices. The
government is telling you that you must buy something, even if you
will never use it.

You might say that this is akin to a seat belt that will never be
used, but the intent is much different. One is intended to save your
life; the other is intended to prop up a failing business model.