[opendtv] Re: 20050810 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 17:05:50 -0400

>>>Why is it that DVB-T STBs aren't having front end tuner problems?
>>>

>They are ... that's why England essentially requires a rooftop
>antenna except in very special cases.

Completely false.  The first DVB-T receiver I saw operating was in a
ground-floor flat in London with a set-top antenna.  The second was in a
first floor (called "second floor") flat in London with a set-top
antenna.  The third was at an airport retailer, again with a set-top
antenna.

Perhaps because they care more about image quality than we do, UK TVs
are often fed via professionally installed rooftop aerials, but it is
certainly not required for most Freeview reception.

TTFN,
Mark