[opendtv] Re: 20050803 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 08:49:13 -0400

>This is hilarious. At first, when they talked about the
>"streets teeming with the nation's young," I thought they
>were going to get sarcastic about this new toy. All we
>need is young drivers, already hampered by cell phones
>while driving, not to mention music at ear popping levels,
>now also concentrating on watching their TV shows. Just
>what we need.
>
>Or are we to believe that such a stand-alone box cannot
>be placed on the front seat?

Apparently, what we are to believe is that you have never experienced
the chorus of voices from the back seat screaming "Are we there yet?"

But take heart, as I suspect that OTA receivers are not what the kids
sitting in the back seat are looking for in terms of devices to
connect to that in-car LCD display. They already have DVD players for
movies and video games.

I was in Atlanta this weekend for a pub crawl, and returned home to
hear a tale of woe from my father-in-law.  MY daughter convinced him
to trade in his Honda CRV on a Mercedes SUV, then she installed an
LCD screen for the back seat of the Mercedes, with a play station to
play games and DVDs. Sunday he took my now 26 year old son to the
mall to get a haircut. Some of his friends opted to tag along, and
they decided to stay in the car to play games; they kept the car
running so that the AC would work. When they got back to the house
they kept playing and running the AC. My father-in-law was VERY upset
because they burned up a quarter tank of gas...

Why is it Bert, and you are not alone in this, that you automatically
leap to the conclusion that an in-car display is going to be used by
the driver? The modern car has become a second living room for people
on the move, complete with leather sofas...