[opendtv] Re: 20050627 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 17:50:54 -0400

If the FCC adopts ATSC A/53C in it's entirety as law, as they have with
A/53B, then yes, it can be enforced.  Or at least amendment 1 paragraph
5.6.1 can be enforced:

"Limits have been defined for the maximum bitrate in the Enhanced (E-VSB)
service.
"At all times, the quality of video in the main stream shall be equal to or
better than the equivalent program in the Enhanced stream. In the event that
the programming is different in the main and Enhanced streams, a higher
resolution format is deemed to be higher quality.

"Additionally, during premium programming times, the maximum bitrate in the
enhanced (EVSB) stream shall be 3 Mbps out of the total 19.4 Mbps channel
capacity."