[opendtv] Re: 20050105 Those Thursday Thoughts (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Jan 2006 15:52:08 -0500

>  - U.S. analog cutoff and the cable-delivery problem -
>     - Here's a story in Multichannel News free even to
> non-subscribers:
<http://tinyurl.com/ey7xd>

Something seems to be getting lost in translation.

It is unclear whether the NAB is opposing the idea that
cable companies can transmit ONLY the analog version of
a digital must-carry program stream, or whether the NAB
opposes the idea that a cable company might transmit
both an analog (obviously degraded quality) and the
original digital stream, as simulcasts.

If a cable company, such as Comcast, has decided already
that they will simulcast digital must-carry stations
also in an analog stream, I can't figure out what the
NAB could possibly have to object to. With this simulcast
approach, end users get to decide what quality level they
want, EXACTLY the same as if they had their own D/A STB.