[opendtv] 20040726 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Multiple Addresses Suppressed <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 20:36:40 -0400

- Follow-ups:

     - The DTT-reception breakthrough at "The Schubin Site" -
          - First, here's a recap for those of you who missed the
Thursday special:  Reliable DTT reception was achieved in my apartment
for the first time, on Thursday morning, using the 5th-generation LG
chip and either a simple rectangular loop antenna or the classic Radio
Shack dual bow-tie with reflector.  Fancier antennas were less successful.
     We were able to receive six local DTT stations quite reliably;
people could walk around the room during reception, and the antenna
could even be moved around and reoriented during reception with
virtually no ill effect (it WAS possible to find a location and
orientation that caused problems, but I had to really try).  A seventh
station could be received with the antenna at the window (different
seventh stations for different antennas).  In the eight years of DTT
testing here:
               - This was the first time reception was possible with the
antenna atop my TV (as it is for my analog reception).
               - This was the first time WNYW-DT (Fox) and any other
station could be received from the same antenna location, never mind
orientation.
               - This was the first time that no care needed to be used
in orienting the antenna; haphazardly hanging the loop from a string was
fine.
          - The stations received were WABC-DT, WCBS-DT, WFME-DT,
WNBC-DT, WNJN-DT, WNYW-DT (which carries WWOR as a subchannel), and
WPXN-DT.  A station I had previously received during an earlier test was
off the air when we were testing on Thursday.
          - The National Association of Broadcasters (NAB) lists 19
stations as being in my market (they actually list one station just
eight miles away as being in the Philadelphia market, because it's a
satellite of another station):
<http://www.nab.org/Newsroom/issues/digitaltv/DTVStations.asp>
     As best I know, all of the other DTT stations listed for my market
were either operating at very low power, far away, both, or off the air
during the test on Thursday morning.  I, therefore, consider the test to
have been completely successful.  If some future receiver can pull in
even low-power signals, that will be a bonus.
          - Here's a recap of the conditions in my apartment.  The
apartment is in a pre-war 17-story building on a wide Manhattan cross
street.  It is on the 4th floor.  It faces north, with all DTT
transmitters to the south or southwest, so at least one bounce is
required for all reception.  It is about two miles from the Empire State
Building and closer to the Conde Nast Building.  It is probably less
than ten miles from all the New Jersey stations received.  In other
words, it is in a relatively high signal strength area.
          - The receiver was an LG LST-3100A, BUT that receiver is
normally shipped with the FOURTH-generation circuitry.  The
4th-generation chip was replaced with a 5th-generation in the test
receiver.  As best I know, no 5th-generation receivers have yet been
sold, but they are expected later this year (see USDTV story below).
          - Sinclair says their results testing this receiver in
Baltimore were essentially the same as mine.
          - Here was the sequence of events Thursday morning:
               - People showed up.
               - The equipment was unpacked.
               - A Radio Shack dual bow-tie with reflector was set up in
front of and below the TV set, aimed roughly towards the window (no
critical aiming).  Six stations were pulled in, WPXN not quite reliably.
               - The antenna was moved to the set top (about two feet
higher); all six stations were reliably received.
               - The antenna was moved to the window; a seventh station
(WFME) was pulled in, all reliably.
               - The loop antenna was tried, with similar results.
               - Other antennas were tried, with worse results.
               - The loop antenna was moved around successfully during
reception on different channels.
          - WPIX-DT (WB), which is transmitting at low power on VHF
channel 12, was sort of sniffed (the receiver paused a long time on
channel 12 during scanning) but never came in.  We tried two
orientations of rabbit ears (and another indoor antenna that included
rabbit ears) but didn't get it.  All of the other antennas were
optimized for UHF.
          - Here is a rough history of the breakthroughs in DTT testing
here:
               - The "first-generation" Panasonic TU-DST20 couldn't
receive anything off air with any antenna tried but got the 8-VSB then
used by Time Warner Cable of NYC well.
               - The "second-generation" RCA DTC100 could, with certain
antennas (16 were tried, including some almost as long as the room),
pick up WCBS-DT relatively reliably from a number of locations but not
atop the TV nor on the floor.  It could pick up WNYW-DT (transmitting
from the same Empire State Building) from the floor in the corner but
from nowhere else.  Succeeding receivers had similar results.
               - As more stations came on the air in New York, they,
too, were received, but never more than three (usually just one) from
any single antenna orientation, regardless of receiver or antenna.
WABC-DT, transmitting from the Conde Nast Building, was easiest to
receive until Thursday, but it could not be received from atop my TV nor
from the floor (where WNYW-DT could be received).
          - I am prevented by non-disclosure agreement from revealing
all of the tests here, but you will be safe in assuming that what you
have just read represents the relevant information.
          - One correspondent asked whether I thought the success of the
5th-generation LG chip in my apartment obviates the need for "smart"
antennas.  I would point out again that I am in a high-signal-strength
urban area.
          - Another correspondent asked whether the success of the
5th-generation LG chip obviates the need for the more-robust E-VSB
system and whether, because E-VSB uses up so much more of the channel,
anyone would ever use it.  Again, I would point out that I am in a
high-signal-strength area, and, even here, in certain antenna positions,
certain stations (which might not be at full power) were received not
entirely reliably.  I suggest that the use of E-VSB to carry
"bulletproof" audio (which would take a negligible amount of data rate
-- perhaps about 130 kbps -- from the channel) could mean the difference
between a "watchable" program and an "unwatchable" one.

     - E-VSB - The Advanced Television Systems Committee (ATSC) has
officially approved the E-VSB amendment to the A/53C standard:
<http://www.atsc.org/news_information/press/2004/PR_EVSB.htm>
     Here's the amended standard (the 37-page amendment replaces former
Annex D):
<http://wwww.atsc.org/standards/a_53c_with_amend_1.pdf>
     A correspondent suggests that E-VSB is a way for LG/Zenith to
continue to receive intellectual-property fees after the expiration of
their rights to 8-VSB.

     - USDTV -
          - They have "announced a technology partnership with LG
Electronics and LG Innotek to supply fifth-generation 8-VSB chips and
ATSC tuners for use in USDTV's set-top boxes."  Shipments are to begin
in the fourth quarter of this year:
<http://home.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20040720005736&newsLang=en>
<http://eet.com/semi/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=23903585>
     I've asked USDTV a number of questions about this, including the LG
deal's relationship to the Hisense deal and whether the new boxes would
have advanced-compression decoding.  It's possible I will learn the
answers on Wednesday, but I told them I was in no rush.
          - They have cut the cost of their receiver to $19.95, not
counting antenna ($29.95) or installation ($49.95), if either is needed:
          - Warren Communications News reported today that the possible
deal between USDTV and the Emmis consortium has fallen through.  By the
time you read this, the story will probably no longer be on their site:
<http://www.warren-news.com/>

     - Academy-Awards "Screeners" - Cinea will provide the 10,000 secure
DVD players at their own cost.  The full story requires a paid subscription:
<http://www.variety.com/index.asp?layout=upsell_article&articleID=VR1117907011&categoryID=1338&cs=1>

     - House Commerce Committee hearing on Berlin DTT transition -
          - It occurred.  Here are three reports:
<http://www.tvtechnology.com/dailynews/one.php?id=2154>
<http://www.wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,64299,00.html?tw=rss.BIZ>
<http://bth.broadcastengineering.com/july_26/#>
          - Broadcasting & Cable's coverage concentrated on committee
chair Joe Barton's contention that it could cost the government $1
billion to pay for receivers but might allow a "hard" analog cutoff date
that would enrich the Treasury with payments for spectrum:
<http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA438041?display=Breaking+News&promocode=SUPP>
          - The Government Accountability Office report was presented:
<http://www.gao.gov/docsearch/abstract.php?rptno=GAO-04-926T>
               - Here are the highlights:
<http://www.gao.gov/highlights/d04926thigh.pdf>
               - Here's the complete report:
<http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d04926t.pdf>
          - Here's the testimony of broadcaster Greg Schmidt of LIN
Television:
<http://www.nab.org/Newsroom/PressRel/testimonies/Schmidttestimony072104.asp>
          - Here's the testimony of cabler Michael Willner of Insight
Communications:
<http://www.ncta.com/pdf_files/Willner%20DTV%20Testimony.pdf>
     He noted that his company, with 1,297,900 subscribers, has 26,184
HD subscribers (even though 94% have access to HD).

     - Other cable and H/DTV news - According to a story on the CED
website, a report from ABI Research says that the "Digital cable-ready
TV sets now hitting the market are costing between $80 and $120 more
than standard units":
<http://www.cedmagazine.com/cedailydirect/2004/0704/cedaily040720.htm#2>
     I could not find those amazing figures in the press release on the
ABI Research site:
<http://www.abiresearch.com/abiprdisplay2.jsp?pressid=299>

     - Digital rights management - The Washington Post reports that the
National Football League and Hollywood studios want the Federal
Communications Commission (FCC) to prevent TiVo from introducing a way
for users to watch captured programming outside their homes:
<http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn/A4042-2004Jul21>

     - July 1 -
          - My Minneapolis-area correspondent is still out, so I have no
Sears or Ultimate Electronics ads this week.
          - This week, I was aware of ads for 47 TVs with larger than
36-inch screens; seven had integrated DTT-reception circuitry.  So far,
the biggest impact of the "tuner mandate" seems to have been the
(perhaps coincidental) virtual elimination of ads for non-HD 36-inch
direct-view TV sets.
          - See also the ads section for inexpensive non-integrated sets
that are HD and/or widescreen.
       - TV sets that would require DTT-reception circuitry starting 2005:
         - Magnavox 27MS3404 27-inch TV @ Circuit City $199.99
         - Philips 27PT543S 27-inch TV @ Best Buy $199.99
       - Devices that would require DTT-reception circuitry in 2007:
         - Apex AT1308 13-inch TV @ J&R $69.99
         - Toshiba 13A23/4 13-inch TV @ Best Buy $79.99
         - Toshiba 19A24 19-inch TV @ Best Buy $119.99
         - Magnavox 20MT133S 20-inch TV @ Circuit City $99.99
         - Daewoo DTQ20U4SC 20-inch flat-screen TV @ Best Buy $129.99
         - Apex ADV-3800 DVD/VHS combo @ J&R $89.99
         - Sylvania DVC845E DVD/VCR combo @ Best Buy $89.99
         - Zenith XBV442 DVD/VCR combo @ Circuit City $109.99
         - Coby DVD-R1000 DVD+R/RW recorder @ J&R $189.99
         - LiteOn LVW5005 DVD+R/RW recorder @ CompUSA $249.99 after rebate
         - Magnavox MRV64017 DVD+RW rec. @ Circuit City $249.99 after rebate
         - Mystery brand DVD+R/RW recorder @ Fry's $179
         - Pioneer DVR-224 DVD-R/RW rec. w/$25 gift card @ Best Buy $299.99
       - Devices that would require dual DTT-reception circuitry in 2007:
         - Toshiba MV20P2 20-inch TV/VCR combo @ Best Buy $179.99
         - Broksonic SC20145 20-inch TV/VCR/DVD combo @ Circuit City $249.99
       - Devices not covered by the mandate but using analog TV broadcasts:
         - Casio SY-30 2.7-inch LCD TV @ J&R $99.99
         - Sony D-NS707F AM/FM/Weather/TV/CD portable @ J&R $99.99

     - May 1 -
          - None of the lists I check (FCC, NAB, Association of Public
Television Stations) was updated this week.
          - Doug Lung's RF Report in TV Technology notes just 536
licensed U.S. DTT stations listed in the FCC's CDBS database as of July
18, no change from the July 4 listing:
<http://www.tvtechnology.com/dlrf/one.php?id=512>

- International H/DTV news:

     - In the first four months they were on sale, 273,557 "interactive"
DTT receiver/decoders were reportedly sold in Italy:
<http://www.agi.it/english/news.pl?doc=200407231903-1221-RT1-CRO-0-NF11&page=0&id=agionline-eng.oggitalia>

     - The HD Euro1080 satellite channel reportedly has 10,000
"viewers."  Getting the story requires filling out a questionnaire:
<http://www.scri.com/sub/sc_newscur.html>

     - The UK analog-shutdown date has been put off by two years to 2012:
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/3917449.stm>

     - According to a story about a report in the Mail, commercial ITV
in the UK "is threatening to hand back its broadcasting licence and make
all its programmes available only to digital viewers."  The issue is the
high cost of its government fees for an analog broadcasting, reportedly
UKP200 million (over $368 million) annually and costs to provide
public-service programming, UKP250 million (over $460 million) a year.
Like U.S. broadcasters giving back their analog licenses, ITV would
still be available on DTT, cable, and satellite:
<http://www.advanced-television.com/2004/news_archive_2004/July19_23.htm#itvquit>

     - The UK DTT pay-TV Top Up TV is starting a campaign to get people
to buy the conditional-access modules (CAMs) necessary for their
service.  The CAMs are to go for about UKP40 ($74), and the monthly fee
for ten channels will be about UKP8 ($15):
<http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/article/ds15127.html>

     - The latest list of set-top receiver decoders from Digital
Broadcasting Australia shows 42 boxes from 19 brands; 41 can receive
standard definition, of which the least expensive are A$199 (US$141);
eight can receive HD, of which the least expensive is A$599 (US$425):
<http://www.dba.org.au/index.asp?sectionID=18>

     - Korea's government Ministry of Information and Communications has
reportedly persuaded manufacturers to drop prices of "digital TVs."  As
here in the U.S., the term has been used in Korea to represent displays
without DTT capability, so I don't know which these are.  Samsung is
reportedly dropping the price of its 28-inch model from 1.29 million won
to 999,000 ($1110 to $858); LG is to match the lower figure.  Daewoo's
29-inch set is dropping from 790,000 to 630,000 won ($680 to $542).  All
three companies will sell 32-inch sets for 1.39 million won ($1196):
<http://times.hankooki.com/lpage/tech/200407/kt2004072318244711810.htm>
     Government agencies have been ordered to help the DTV industry:
<http://www.yonhapnews.net/Engnews/20040723/300100000020040723160642E0.html>

- The Hollywood all-studio Digital Cinema Initiatives (DCI) has
reportedly selected JPEG2000 as its desired compression system and has
asked SMPTE DC-28 to accept it.  One reason for the selection was said
to be that it is royalty-free:
<http://www.backstage.com/backstage/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000536521>

- Scientific-Atlanta has established a web site to educate consumers
about HDTV:
<http://www.exploreHD.com>
<http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/hdtv.htm>
     One page notes the differences between an "HD-Ready Television"
(later called an "HD-Ready Monitor" and an "HD-Capable Monitor":
<http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/guidetoHDTV5.htm>
     Another page notes that optimum viewing distance maxes out at seven
feet:
<http://www.scientificatlanta.com/products/guidetoHDTV6.htm>
     The Lechner fixed distance that people sit from TVs in the U.S. was
found to be nine feet; the Jackson distance in the UK was found to be
three meters.

- Warren Communications News reported today that Gateway is planning to
drop DLP projection TVs.  By the time you read this, the story will
probaly no longer be on the site:
<http://www.warren-news.com/>

- According to the Consumer Electronics Association, cumulative sales to
U.S. dealers of "digital televisions" through May were 11,128,360
units.  The press release doesn't mention DTT-receivers:
<http://www.ce.org/press_room/press_release_detail.asp?id=10508>

- Based on figures from CEA, sales of VCRs to U.S. dealers were still
down 63.7% for the first 27 weeks of 2004 compared to the same period in
2003.  Non-H/DTV direct-view TV sets were down 4.8%.  The improvement
over last week is due, in part, to huge sales of TV/VCR combos, up 230%
over the same week in 2003.  My ten-week running average for non-H/DTV
direct-view TV sets was down 21.8%.
     So-called "Digital Television" sales to U.S. dealers for the 27th
week were 51,912 units (TV/VCR combos were 38,843).  For the first 27
weeks of the year, there were 1,978,265 units.  "Digital Televisions"
(most of which are HDTV displays without DTT-reception capability)
accounted for 15.2% of the TVs (not counting plasma or direct-view LCD)
sold to U.S. dealers so far this year.  It may be worth noting here what
that means.  About 85% of the non-plasma, non-direct-view-LCD TVs sold
through the 27th week this year were still plain non-H/DTV direct-view
TVs with picture tubes.
     To qualify as a "Digital Television," a display need only be
capable of dealing with at least 480p; it need not be capable of either
receiving digital signals or displaying them.  Devices actually capable
of receiving DTT signals were still a small fraction of those numbers.

- Ads for set-top DTT receivers:  I'm aware of only the Samsung at J&R.

- The ads - My Minneapolis-area correspondent is still out, so I have no
Sears or Ultimate Electronics ads this week.  Best Buy listed a Sony
1280 x 768 LCD TV as HDTV but not a JVC of identical pixel count.
  - Best Buy (appropriate disclaimers):
    - JVC LT17X475 17-inch widescreen direct-view LCD TV $999.99
    - Mitsubishi WS-65315 65-inch 16:9 projection TV $2499.99**
    - Mystery brand L17M103 17-inch widescreen LCD TV $599.99***
    - Mystery brand plasma TV $2499.99
    - Philips 42PF9966 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $5499.99**
    - Samsung HL-P5063W 50-inch 16:9 DLP projection TV $3499.99**
    - Samsung SP-P4251 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $3499.99
    - Sharp LC37G4U 37-inch widescreen LCD direct-view TV $5499.99**
    - Sony KLV23HR1 23-inch 16:9 direct-view LCD TV $1999.99**
    - Sony KP46WT510 46-inch 16:9 projection TV $1499.99**
    - Sony KP51WS510 51-inch 16:9 projection TV $1699.99**
    - Sony KV30HS420 30-inch 16:9 direct-view CRT TV $999.99***
    - Sony KV34HS420 34-inch 16:9 direct-view CRT TV $1599.99**
    - Toshiba 20DL74 20-inch widescreen direct-view LCD TV $999.99
    - Toshiba 51H84 51-inch 16:9 projection TV $1699.99**
    - Toshiba 57H84 57-inch 16:9 CRT projection TV $1899.99**
    ** price includes DVD player and three DVDs
    *** price includes three DVDs
  - Circuit City (appropriate disclaimers):
    - Akai PDP4249G 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $2999.99
    - Akai PT4298HD 42-inch 16:9 projection TV $999.99
    - Hitachi 50V500 50-inch 16:9 LCD projection TV $2799.99****
    - Magnavox 27MS5402 27-inch 4:3 direct-view CRT TV $489.99
    - Panasonic PT47X54 47-inch 16:9 projection TV $1299.99****
    - Panasonic PT50LC13/PT50LC14 50-inch LCD projection TV $2699.99****
    - Panasonic TC32LX20 32-inch widescreen LCD TV $3599.99****
    - Panasonic TH42PX25U 42-inch 16:9 integrated plasma DTV $5499.99****
    - Samsung HLP5063W 50-inch 16:9 DLP projection TV $3199.99
    - Samsung LTN1535 15-inch 4:3 direct-view LCD TV $499.99****
    - Samsung LTP227W 22-inch widescreen direct-view LCD TV $1799.99****
    - Sharp LC20E1UB 20-inch 4:3 LCD direct-view TV $799.99****
    - Sony KE42M1 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $3599.99****
    - Sony KP51WS510 51-inch 16:9 projection TV $1599.99****
    - Sony KV32HS420 32-inch 4:3 direct-view CRT TV $899.99****
    **** price after mail-in rebate
  - CompUSA (appropriate disclaimer):
    - Panasonic PT-50LC14 50-inch LCD projection TV $2999.99*****
    - Sharp LC15B4US 15-inch 4:3 LCD direct-view TV $549.99
    - ViewSonic VPW425 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $2799.99*****
    ***** price includes DVD+R/RW recorder
  - Dell (New York Times, no disclaimer):
    - Dell 2200MP projector $899
    - Dell 3300MP projector $1399
    - Dell W1700 17-inch widescreen LCD TV $630
    - Dell W2300 23-inch widescreen LCD TV $1280
    - Dell W3000 30-inch widescreen LCD TV $2240
  - Fry's (Los Angeles Times, no disclaimer):
    - "Major Brand" 51-inch 16:9 integrated projection DTV $1299
    - "Major Brand" 55-inch 16:9 projection TV $1199
    - Optoma 50-inch 16:9 projection TV $2997
  - Good Guys (Los Angeles Times, appropriate disclaimer):
    - "Famous Brand" 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $1999
    - JVC PD42WX84 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $4999
    - Mitsubishi WD52525 52-inch 16:9 integrated projection DTV $3999
    - Pioneer PRO530HDI 53-inch 16:9 projection TV $2199
    - Pioneer PRO730HDI 64-inch 16:9 projection TV $2999
    - Samsung HLN567W 56-inch 16:9 DLP projection TV $3999
    - Sony KD34XBR960 34-inch 16:9 integrated direct-view DTV $2199
    - Sony KE37XS910 37-inch 16:9 plasma TV $4999
    - Sony KE42XS910 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $5999
    - Sony KE50XS910 50-inch 16:9 plasma TV $7999
    - Sony KF50WE610 50-inch 16:9 LCD projection TV
  - Hewlett-Packard (Los Angeles Times, no disclaimer):
    - HP F2304 23-inch widescreen LCD TV $2199
  - J&R (New York Times, no disclaimer):
    - JVC LT-17X475 17-inch widescreen direct-view LCD TV $799.00
    - JVC LT26WX84 26-inch widescreen direct-view LCD TV $2099.99
    - JVC PD-42WX84 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $3599.99
    - Optoma EzPro 731 projector $729.99 after mail-in rebate
    - Philips 23PF9945 23-inch 16:9 LCD TV $1499.99
    - Philips 30PF9975 30-inch widescreen direct-view LCD TV $2499.99
    - Philips 37FD9954 37-inch 16:9 plasma TV $2799.99
    - Samsung HL-P4663W 46-inch 16:9 DLP projection TV
    - Samsung SIR-T165 ATSC receiver/decoder $379.99
    - Samsung TX-P2745P 27-inch 4:3 direct-view CRT TV $399.99
    - Toshiba 14AF44 14-inch 4:3 direct-view CRT TV $129.99
    - Toshiba 42HP83P 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $3999.99
    - Westinghouse W33001 30-inch 16:9 direct-view LCD TV $1999.99
  - Ken Crane's (Los Angeles Times, no disclaimer):
    - LG RU-44SZ61D 44-inch 16:9 projection TV $2798
    - LG RU-52SZ61D 52-inch 16:9 DLP projection TV $3298
    - Mitsubishi WD-52525 52-inch 16:9 integrated DLP projection DTV $3998
    - Mitsubishi WD-62525 62-inch 16:9 integrated DLP projection DTV $4498
    - Mitsubishi WS-55315 55-inch 16:9 projection TV $1898
    - Mitsubishi WS-65713 65-inch 16:9 integrated projection DTV $2998
    - Panasonic TH-42PD25UP 42-inch 16:9 integrated plasma DTV $3798
  - Magnolia (Los Angeles Times, no disclaimer):
    - Fujitsu P50XHA10US 50-inch 16:9 plasma TV $6999
    - Philips 17PF9945 17-inch 16:9 LCD TV $799
    - Philips 23PF9945 23-inch 16:9 LCD TV $1699
    - Philips 30PF9975 30-inch widescreen direct-view LCD TV $2999
  - Unitek (Los Angeles Times, no disclaimer):
    - Sony PFM42B2/H 42-inch 16:9 plasma TV $3799
    - Sony PFM50C1 50-inch 16:9 plasma TV $5699

- DVD news:

     - According to CEA, sales of DVD players to U.S. dealers for the
first 27 weeks of 2004 were down 3.8% from the same period in 2003.  My
ten-week running average was down 21.1%.

     - Lyra Research's DTV View Survey of HDTV Users, conducted in May
and June, found 47% owning more than 50 prerecorded DVDs and another 24%
owning between 21 and 50.  There were 577 respondents.  The URL is for a
July 15 report called "Dark Horse Winner of Blu-ray vs. HD-DVD Battle,"
which contains the information in a graph:
<http://lyra6.lyra.com/DTVVIEW/Surprisewinner.html>

- Upcoming Dates (DTV and non-DTV):

     - *July 27, WFYI, Indianapolis, Road Showe -- "A Taste of NAB" (not
NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/38_Indy.htm>
     - *July 28, John Wood Community College, Quincy, IL -- "A Taste of
NAB" (not NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/39_Quincy.htm>.
     - July 29, Madison, Wisconsin, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not
NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/40_Madison.htm>.
     - *July 31, Flint, Michigan, -- "A Taste of NAB" (not NAB
affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/39a_Michigan.htm>.
     - August 2, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB"
(not NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/41_Minn-StP.htm>.
     - *August 2-6, Loew's Coronado Bay Resort, Coronado, California,
CEA Summer Technology and Standards Forum
<http://www.ce.org/events/event_info/default.asp?eventID=STSF04>.
     - August 4, Omaha, Nebraska, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not NAB
affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/42_Omaha.htm>.
     - August 6, Riverton, Wyoming, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not
NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/43_Riverton.htm>.
     - August 9, Salt Lake City, Utah, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB"
(not NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/44_SLC.htm>.
     - *August 10, Shaw Pittman, Washington, D.C., informal working
group 4 (broadcasting and amateur issues) for FCC advisory committee on
WRC 07 <http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-04-2149A1.doc>.
     - August 11, Bozeman, Montana, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not
NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/45_Bozeman.htm>.
     - *August 11-13, Hilton Austin Downtown, Texas Association of
Broadcasters Convention <http://www.tab.org/convention-session.php>.
     - August 13, Boise, Idaho, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not NAB
affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/46_Boise.htm>.
     - August 16, Spokane, Washington, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB"
(not NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/47_Spokane.htm>.
     - August 18, Washington State University, Road Show -- "A Taste of
NAB" (not NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/48_WSU.htm>.
     - August 20, Seattle, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not NAB
affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/49_Seattle.htm>.
     - August 24, Portland, Oregon, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not
NAB affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/50_Portland.htm>.
     - August 24-26, Westin Century Plaza, Los Angeles, DisplaySearch
HDTV Forum 2004 <http://www.displaysearch.com/hdtvforum/>.
     - August 25, Eugene, Oregon, Road Show -- "A Taste of NAB" (not NAB
affiliated) <http://www.tech-notes.tv/2004/51_Eugene.htm>.
     - August 30-September 1, Hollywood Renaissance Hotel, Entertainment
Media Expo <http://www.media-tech.net/news/New_A.htm>.
     - September 1-3, Reading, UK, International Symposium on Consumer
Electronics <http://www.isce.reading.ac.uk>.
     - September 9-14, RAI, Amsterdam, International Broadcasting
Convention <http://www.ibc.org>.
     - September 16-19, Sony, Basingstoke, England, SMPTE Engineering
Committee meetings <http://www.fibush.net/smpte/Sept2004/Sept2004.htm>.
     - October 6-7, Washington (D.C.) Convention Center, Government
Video Technology Expo <http://www.GVExpo.com>.
     - October 13-15, Hotel Washington, Washington, D.C., IEEE Broadcast
Symposium <http://www.ieee.org/organizations/society/bt/symposium.html>.
     - October 18-19, Pasadena Convention Center, California, Global
Society for Asset Management G-SAM 2004
<http://www.g-sam.org/gsam2004/index.asp>.
     - *October 18-20, Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco, CEA Industry Forum
<http://www.ce.org/events/event_info/default.asp?eventID=IF04>.
     - October 20-23, Pasadena Convention Center, California, SMPTE
Technical Conference and Exhibition
<http://www.smpte.org/conferences/146tech.cfm>.
     - November 4, Los Angeles Center Studios, HD Expo
<http://www.hdexpo.net/>.
     - November 4-7, Westin St. Francis Hotel, San Francisco, Home
Entertainment 2004 West <http://www.homeentertainment-expo.com/>.
     - *November 15-18, Long Beach Convention Center, California,
Electronic House Expo <http://www.ehx2004.com/>.
     - November 17-19, Makuhari Messe (Tokyo area), InterBEE
<http://bee.jesa.or.jp>.
     - January 3-6, Las Vegas, IEEE Consumer Communications and
Networking Conference <http://www.ieee-ccnc.org/>.
     - January 6-9, Las Vegas, Consumer Electronics Show
<http://www.cesweb.org/>.
     - January 8-12, Las Vegas Convention Center, International
Conference on Consumer Electronics <http://www.icce.org/>.
     - ***January 26-28, Rancho Las Palmas Marriott, California, ***The
Technology Retreat*** <http://www.hpaonline.com>.
* - new or revised listing

TTFN,
Mark

PS  Permission is granted to forward this or any other Monday Memo.  I
wish I could be more definite about the next memo, but I am still
awaiting travel orders from my client.  I expect to be out of the
country and unable to send memos between August 1 and 19.  If things
change, there will be a memo next week; if not, I might try to send
something Saturday.

Confused about something in the memo?  Please first check out the second
post-script to the January 5 memo here:
<http://www.digitaltelevision.com/mondaymemo/mlist/frm02052.html>