[opendtv] Re: 20040722 Thundering Thursday Thanks (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 16:27:53 +0100

Another way of looking at it is that MPEG-2 needs to be real-time (analog to
digital), and H.264 transitionally can be used to deploy new services.
Services that, at this point in time, do not need to be real-time to
succeed.  Then, when H.264 is fully embedded in receivers at some point in
the future, the advantages of H.264 (or VC-9) can be used to provide
additional bandwidth by moving MPEG-2 streams to the new format.

As a practical matter, very little is real time at TV stations: breaking
news preemptions and the studio and remote segments for news casts.

I'm not really sure why people think newscasts have to be live.  Hell, at 11
p.m., you can be told that a story that ended two hours before is "breaking
news."  That just as well could have been recorded an hour before, or even
so that it was finished encoding just seconds before airing.

Of course, live is best.