[opendtv] Re: 20040719 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 17:05:01 +0100

Really?  On what experience do you assert these facts?

If anybody anywhere in the U.S. does two HD channels in one 8-VSB mux, I
have yet to hear of it.  HD or not.

The configurations you mention do not include (until this fall) any
situations where both nets are HD.  That might be why they "can" do it.

I'm just starting with analyzing transport streams, but KPBS-DT San Diego
uses 68% of it's capacity to do one HD channel, and 20% of for a SDTV
channel.  NO SPORTS (PBS).  With, 8.6% null packets.  NO way could they do
two HDTVs in that channel.

Of course, it's not too difficult to down res a HDTV contribution stream to
a SDTV emission stream.