(This is my third attempt to post this. I hope it works this time!) Okay, 11.7-million (10.52%) of US TV Households do not subscribe to some sort of MVPD. I can't speak for other DMAs, but in the Portland, OR DMA 60% of the cable homes are directly fed by either fiber or microwave from my station. That leaves 40% of cable viewers who are getting their local stations from an off-air pickup. I would suspect that this figure is not too far off from a 'national average'. That would mean that something like 28.4-million cable households receive their local stations via cable from an off-air signal. The last figure I've seen has 60% of DBS subscribers signing up for Local-into-Local, where available. That leaves 9.1-million DBS homes relying on antennas for the local stations. SMATV systems, by definition, rely on off-air reception to feed their systems. That adds another 1.1-million off-air TVHHs. C-Band satellite does not carry local stations. That adds another 388-thousand off-air households. MMDS systems rarely provide local stations as an 'in-band' service relying mostly on an accompanying off-air antenna for local stations. That adds another 194-thousand off-air households. So, we have a rough total of 39.2-million households of the total TV universe of 108.7-million households who rely on off-air reception or 36.1% of all TV households. There are roughly 350-million TVs in service in the universe of 108.7-million TV households. That averages out to 3.2 TV sets per TV household. =20 In MVPD households not all sets are always connected to the MVPD source (hopefully the current FCC effort will fully determine the exact number) and estimates range from 30-40% of TV sets are not connected to an MVPD. That could be as many as 124-million, or as few as 93-million MVPD household TVs that rely on an antenna for reception. Of course, in non-MVPD households all of the TVs rely on an antenna, so all of those 37.4-million sets rely on off-air reception. This means that some where between 130-million (37%) and 161-million (46%) of all TVs in use rely on off-air reception to receive their local stations. Not at all an insignificant figure. =20 And don't forget that according to the US Census there are more households with TVs in use than either telephones or in-door toilets. ---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.