[opendtv] Re: 20040608 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's MondayMemo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jun 2004 09:48:10 -0400

At 9:13 PM -0700 6/11/04, Kon wrote:
>  > We sat down
>>  for dinner just as the State funeral for Reagan was beginning in the
>>  Capitol Rotunda. I changed the TV from some old movie my
>>  Father-in-law was watching to the coverage of the funeral. My 18 year
>>  old daughter immediately went ballistic.
>
>What, No PIP?

The other night when I came to dinner there was a PIP on the screen.
Nobody knew how it got there or why...

I forgot to mention that when VP Cheney gave his eulogy my
father-in-law got up and walked out in protest, mumbling something
about Halliburton.

Makes one wonder exactly what impact television is having on our
society. Clearly the audience is fragmenting in a hundred directions,
if not more. The once powerful force that brought families together
around the electronic hearth seems to have turned into the proverbial
"thousand points of light."

Roadblocking may be nearly impossible to achieve in the new world of
television, except perhaps when there is a compelling event taking
place. If nothing else, the events of this week demonstrate just how
much we have changed in little more than a decade. I suspect that
there were more points of light honoring Reagan outside of this
country than here at home. He gave hundreds of millions of people
something that we take for granted; something we are losing to
political correctness...

Hope, opportunity and freedom.