[opendtv] Re: 20040601 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 14:58:47 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> >Associated with this is that if such schemes are successful, one
> >would expect that a standard ATSC conditional access scheme built
> >into receivers would become important.
>
> Unfortunately there is no such standard. The ATSC simply allows the
> use of virtually any CA system. And as we know, the broadcast flag
> does not protect anything.

But unless each station expects people to rent their specific
STB to receive their pay channels, the ATSC will have to either
create or adopt one CA solution, or a small number of them.

As things are now, the subscription service is only practical if
DTT adopts the cable or DBS model. Where one organization manages
all subscribers, with their own proprietary STBs. Yuk. This
effectively cancels one of the advantages of OTA distribution,
which is the untethered nature of it.

To adopt a standard is no big deal, of course. It just has to be
done. I would think the NAB would push for such an effort, if
they saw pay TV as something of value for DTT.

By the way, consolidating bills should be be an orthogonal
issue, I think.