[opendtv] Re: 20040601 Twang's Tuesday Tribune (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 18:26:13 -0700

I believe that what you say is not too far from the technical mark, but none
of those brand extensions is enough to get me excited about DTV.  Maybe
over-promoting will help.

My mantra is that they will need to create ENTIRELY NEW, very UNIQUE,
EXCLUSIVE and FIRST RUN content.  You know, just like TV itself (Well,
perhaps not all TV is very unique, and not all first run, but ...)

John Willkie

P.S.  ABC Family still has the exclusivity arrangement (not as iron-clad as
that of the Disney Channel) but they buy off-net and off-cable content for
most of it's fare.  Of course, the Soap channels are all re-runs.  That
might have some traction, since few cable systems or satellite systems carry
Soap, and broadcast station operators never did like the idea of giving up
that exclusivity (same or next-day airings of soaps seen on their station.)