[opendtv] Re: 20040503 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 05 May 2004 14:38:54 -0400

>The questions to ask IMO are:
>
>1. If analog OTA were shut off, how many households would
>*actually* remain disenfranchised? Point being, I believe that
>way over 94.7 percent of households have access to one form of
>TV or other, even if analog OTA were shut off. If nothing else,
>STBs could be provided to low income households at a huge
>discount *if* these households don't already subscribe to cable
>or DBS.

As I've noted previously, after 9/11, when all NY stations remained on
cable and satellite but only WCBS-TV stayed on the air, WCBS-TV ratings
skyrocketed, and the others fell.  Now that the others are back on the
air, WCBS is back where it was.

Draw your own conclusions about the value of OTA in the nation's largest
market.

>2. Since telephone service is characterized as a lifeline
>service, and the telcos are required provide the level of
>system availability that such a service implies, does it even
>make sense to compare the two? You don't need a TV set for
>any emergency information. All you need is a $15 clock radio
>(or whatever they're going for these days).

With TV in 98% of households, it seems to be the preferred way to notify
people of emergencies.

Again, draw your own conclusions.

TTFN,
Mark