[opendtv] Re: 1-seg

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 19:48:24 -0500

Really the open question for me on mobile is whether they will get it together for OTA mobile broadcast before it is simply locked up by cellular IP like my Sprint phone. Getting 415 kbps is already no problem with my current phone service but I'm not paying (yet?) for any premium channels.

Municipal wifi probably could do even better if that ever comes about. I wonder if any buses or trains have wifi yet? Might become needed if gas goes to $10 / gallon.

- Tom

Bob Miller wrote:
There is some market in Europe for cell phones that receive ordinary
DVB-T also.

Bob Miller

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Interesting.  I found there is a Wikipedia article on 1-seg
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1seg>

That link states they break a 6 mhz channel into 13 segments that after 2/3
FEC each carry a usable payload of 415 kbps.  The max video rez is 320x240,
at video bit rates of 220-320 kbps.

On usage:

"On 2008-01-16, JEITA learned that the result of their monthly shipping out
quantity survey showed approx. 4.806 million mobile phones were sold in
Japan in November 2007. Of these, approx. 3.054 million phones, 63.5% of the
total, can receive 1seg broadcasts. [2]

In fiscal year 2007, total average 45.0% of mobile phone has 1seg reception
capability out of 22.284 million units sold, the percent has been increased
26.8% in April 2007 to 64.2% at end of fiscal year March 2008."

I wonder if the phone companies charge extra (monthly) for this feature?

Having 63% of new phones being able to receive 1-seg would seem to be
something of a winner there, even if it is a lower bit rate and resolution
than I would personally like.

- Tom

Craig Birkmaier wrote:
At 10:35 AM -0500 1/10/09, Tom Barry wrote:
And to save you a reply, This one DIDN'T work...

Craig
It occurs to me I have not been keeping up with what the rest of the
world is doing in mobile, especially broadcast.  Has any country implemented
a working land based mobile/hand-held broadcast TV system yet, with any
technology?  If so, what are they using?

The most successful land-based mobile TV broadcast service is in Japan,
which is using the ISDB standard; the mobile service is called 1-seg. I
believe that the government mandates that the mobile 1-Seg service
simulcasts the programming carried on the full bandwidth ISDB service for
fixed receivers. In February the installed base of phones with 1-seg
capabilities in Japan passed the 20 million mark - I can't find anything
more recent in terms of numbers.

The satellite based mobile TV service in Korea is also highly popular.