[opendtv] Re: 1985: Television Transformed 1.0

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2015 21:42:58 -0400

On Oct 5, 2015, at 8:35 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

First, you jumped the gun, because that wasn't my main point. And secondly, I
wish you would dredge up these multiple posts. Because my recollection is
that over and over again, you insisted that the main impact the Internet
brought to TV was to allow on demand viewing, even though I repeatedly had to
remind you that VCRs provided that decades ago, as well as in-system DVRs and
VOD offered by cable systems, for multiple years before streaming over the
Internet became popular.

Nice try.

The VCR did not allow on demand viewing. It could be used for time shifting, or
to watch movies and Some TV shows. But you had to either buy or rent the tapes,
and this required going to a store - nothing like "on demand."

But the VCR did change everything. Time shifting, building personal libraries
of movies and TV shows, and for those with camcorders, your own content. DVRs
just replaced tape with hard discs, but were easier to program as the MVPD
boxes worked with the guides for each system.

Very limited on demand programming did show up in the '90s from cable systems -
typically a limited selection of movies. DBS offered near on demand movies by
starting popular titles at 15 or 30 minute intervals. In the early to mid
2000s we started to see more cable on demand programming and the ability to
download movies and TV shows from Apple and others; but you typically had to
wait several minutes for buffers to fill before the show could start.

As the article pointed out, the main advances with OTT services are true on
demand and access to the most popular TV shows and movies created in recent
decades.

In other words, exactly what I've been saying.

And then after that, you insisted that virtually all time-shifted TV viewing
was done using in-system DVR or PVRs at home, rather than Internet streaming.

Never said that. I provided articles that state that the majority of time
shifting takes place via DVRs not Internet streaming.

In other words, Craig, your arguments keep changing. It all depends what you
want to disagree with, on any given day.

My arguments keep changing?

You are the master...

This thread is proof!

Really? Do go back and re-read it, Craig. Then quote where the article makes
this point.

Here is a good paragraph:

Storage capability catalyzed demand for inventory. Although in the mid-1980s,
the extensive repertory that online services have today did not exist,
radically increased choice was already a property of the evolving medium.
Cable television was adding lots of channels and content alternatives. ESPN
made its debut in 1979, CNN in 1980, MTV in 1981. Fewer than 20 percent of
American homes had cable in 1980. That more than doubled by 1985.

Your "sources" are just new stores.

The transformation started when we could buy and then rent from a huge
inventory. Blockbuster begat the Netflix DVD mail service, the App,e and Amazon
started selling downloadable content. The congloms created dozens of MVPD
channels filled with their inventory.

Netflix and Amazon are just new stores selling the inventory from the same old
sources. Yes, they are starting to create original content, using the same
resources as the content congloms.

Abundance has replaced scarcity, and Internet servers are the storage medium.