[opendtv] Re: 1985: Television Transformed 1.0

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 00:35:16 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Good article, IMO. Finally an article that explains the actual
evolution of these technologies, and reminds everyone that the
VCR started the on demand era, now more than 30 years ago.

Apparently this information us only legitimate if it is
published in the New York Times. The FACT that I have written
similar posts here must be meaningless. I could go back and
dredge up multiple posts over the last few months that said the
same thing.

First, you jumped the gun, because that wasn't my main point. And secondly, I
wish you would dredge up these multiple posts. Because my recollection is that
over and over again, you insisted that the main impact the Internet brought to
TV was to allow on demand viewing, even though I repeatedly had to remind you
that VCRs provided that decades ago, as well as in-system DVRs and VOD offered
by cable systems, for multiple years before streaming over the Internet became
popular.

And then after that, you insisted that virtually all time-shifted TV viewing
was done using in-system DVR or PVRs at home, rather than Internet streaming.

In other words, Craig, your arguments keep changing. It all depends what you
want to disagree with, on any given day.

My only disagreement is with the notion that storage is the
only difference. With the neutral Internet, the other new
big piece of the puzzle is content sources. It's one thing
to store content from one single pipe, or even from a
handful of OTA sources only. It's a completely different
game when the content storage bins available to everyone
are essentially unlimited.

The article explained this in detail.

Really? Do go back and re-read it, Craig. Then quote where the article makes
this point.