[opendtv] Re: 11 years after

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 14:43:38 -0400

At 7:10 PM +0000 11/6/12, Mike Tsinberg wrote:
So what is the most reliable communication technology during massive disasters? During Fukushima disaster in Japan my friends told me email and internet was the most stable.

Thanks to Michael and Mark for their timely responses!

Two possible answers for Mike Tsinberg:

Michaels story noted:

Stations who streamed their live coverage on websites and mobile apps reported heavy traffic. For example, WPVI-TV in Philadelphia, the ABC O&O, achieved 13.1 million page views across mobile and desktop on October 29th (a single day record) and had over nine million page views on Sunday, October 28th.

These are huge numbers given the fact that many of these people could have watched the live feed via MVPD or Broadcast (especially Sunday before the power started going out).

Seems to correlate with Mike's comments about Japan.

And the NAB is promoting the role played by Radio, which is still among the most reliable communications networks when the wires go down.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/radio-new-yorkers-connected-sandy-article-1.1196917

Radio proved a port in the storm for New York region during Hurricane Sandy
All-news and all-talk stations like WINS, WCBS-AM and WOR provided information, and a sense of connection.