[opendtv] 11 years after

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:37:49 -0400

It has been just over 11 years since the 911 terrorist attacks brought down the World Trade Center, and the TV towers that provided broadcast television for many of the stations in the New York market. While the 911 attack had a profound affect on life in New York in the days after the collapse of the World Trade Center Towers, one might argue that Hurricane Sandy has disrupted the lives of many more people over a much larger geographical area.

After the attack in 2001 there were MANY reports about the failure of communications systems, especially those used by emergency responders. These concerns ultimately led to the decision by the FCC to reclaim a large block of spectrum for use by emergency management agencies. For many reasons that block of spectrum remains largely unused, although Congress did pass legislation signed in February assigning the D-Block spectrum to public safety, authorizing $7 billion for the build out of a public safety LTE network, and reclaiming lower frequency bands from public safety in 9-10 years.

http://urgentcomm.com/policy_and_law/news/obama-signs-dblock-law-20120223

In the week since the storm hit there has been significant coverage concerning the number of homes with electric power and communications problems faced by the public in the aftermath - loss of service or congestion on wireless networks, loss of Internet service, etc. But I have not heard much about communications issues for emergency responders, or the role that local TV stations have played in the aftermath.

So I am calling upon our resident expert Mark Schubin, to provide any insights he has about these issues.

Did public safety communications networks and commercial wireless services get the job done this time?

Is broadcast television playing a role in areas that have lost power and cable TV services?

Any insights would be appreciated!