[opendtv] 1080p/60 for the people !

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 01:51:44 +0200

You may have noticed that some 1080p/60 video samples, shot with a consumer camera, have started to appear on the web. See for example :

http://c-kom.homeip.net/review/blog/archives/2009/02/xacti_hd2000_fullhr_mp4play.html

To be fair, i can't play them at full speed on my PC, but my two-year old cheap graphic card gives me slightly more than 47 fps, at almost no processor load (7% or less) in DXVA mode. So just changing it for a more recent model in the same price range would certainly allow for full 60p. A 25% increase in performance is all that's needed, and for 50P, a modest 6 % would do.

My consumer projector handles 1080p/60 through HDMI, and possibly even 1080p/75.

So it seems the 1080i/720p compromise is no longer unavoidable, even for mass market. The bitrate is 24 Mbps and some, so it could theoretically be put in an 8Mhz DVB-T channel, especially considering we would tend to use 50P instead (have to check if it is CBR, though). DVB-T2 or satellite broadcasts would make it even easier.

Now, as for the quality of the sample, i am under the impression there is still a fair amount of motion blur. The shutter speed is probably close to 1/60th. I am wondering if 60 fps is high enough to remove any limitation on shutter. Could we do 1/125 or 1/1000 without lowering the perceived quality of motion ? Provided there is enough light available of course.