[opendtv] Re: 1080p@60 for MPEG-2

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 00:49:21 -0500

I don't either, at least in MPEG-2 with real time encoders for broadcast. The best way to compare is probably not by wondering if 1080p is more efficient than 1080i but instead contrast it to 720p/60 which is already used and can already have some problems on fast motion with high detail at full ATSC bandwidth.

Now it is probably true that doubling the number of pixels per frame from 720p to 1080p won't really give twice the detail with current lenses and video cameras but it still would be substantially more data and I don't think it would work.

However if MPEG-4/AVC is truly twice as efficient as MPEG-2 then it should more than do the job, with quality more or less matching today's 720p/60 but higher rez (once we actually capture that much).

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
Correction: I wasn't able to find a public document that mentions work on
incorporating 1080.60p into A/53, and I believe that it couldn't be done
using MPEG-2 codecs within 18-and-change mb/seconds.  (Have to reserve
bandwidth for audio, PSI/PSIP and over-runs.)
John Willkie