[opendtv] Re: 1080p@60 for MPEG-2

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 20:25:32 -0500

I'm guessing the pipes continue to get bigger but not as fast as the growth of either CPU processing power or storage bytes / buck.

- Tom

John Willkie wrote:
So, the pipes will magically get broader after a decade or so, or will the
attitudes of cable and satellite change?

Broadcasters have the least amount of bandwidth of the three, and they care
the most about quality and provide the highest quality of service, at least
in the U.S., but I suspect that's the case in other countries.  I think it's
illogical to restrict future enhancements because there are bad actors who
won't behave the way one or more persons would prefer.

John Willkie