[opendtv] 1080p transmission

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 10:39:11 -0400

Richard Ramsden wrote:

> Until they want to go for digital cinema, 1080p is the top format.
> Both blue-ray and hd-dvd support 1080p. So, that's the next target.
> For an LCD display 1080p is trivial. LCD's aren't interlaced, 1080i
> is upconverted to 1080p in the display. It's the content delivery
> that's the issue.

Yes, I was not considering changing the transmission format. That's a
lot more difficult to do than just improving the receiving equipment, as
has been happening so far.

Still, even deinterlacing 1080 at 60i in a 1080p display should provide
a little more information than a 720p transmission. There are two ways
to see this.

First is that 1080 at 60i transmits 62.2 Mpels per second, compared with
55.3 Mpels/sec for 720 at 60p. No matter how you slice it, that's more
information transfer *potential* already.

The other way is to look at the luminance bandwidth potential. With 1080
at 60i, you transmit up to 31.1 MHz of luminance bandwidth, whereas with
720 at 60p you're limited to a max of 27.6 MHz. It's a 12.5 percent
improvement either way you look at it.